Monday, September 13, 2010

2010 Rochester Marathon - Proves The Need For Recovery

Yesterday I got up bright and early and drove to Frontier Field for the 2010 Rochester Marathon.  The weather was absolutely perfect with temperatures in the 50s and a very light mist in the air.  It looked to be a good day.

As you know, I hadn't planned on running the marathon but a friend of mine requested that I run it with her.  She ran the Green Lakes 50k with me two weeks ago.  I hesitently agreed to run the marathon.

The first half of the race went pretty well.  We had planned on going slowly and finishing around 5 hours.  We hit the halfway mark at about 2:15.  Well ahead of pace, but certainly not breaking any records.  Shortly after this I started having some issues.  The outside of my knee started to really hurt.  Bad.

I continued to plug along before telling my friend several times to take off without me.  As expected she refused.  Around mile 20 I told her to take off because I was going to pull myself at the medical tent near mile 21.  She said she'd run that far with me and I told her that was silly, no sense slowing down on my account.  She took off and I slowed considerably.

I didn't pull out of the race.  It didn't hurt bad enough to quit, but I was certainly hobbled.  Around mile 24 I came accross a volunteer that I've talked to at numerous races.  When he asked "what are you doing way back here?" I could only answer "hurting."

I kept trucking along and eventually made it to the finish line.  I didn't even bother looking at my time as I knew it was horrendous.  But I finished.  Now I need to figure out what is up with my leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.