Sunday, July 18, 2010

First Workout on the Path to Ultras

Today is the day that I start taking my goal of becoming an ultrarunner. My original goal was to go for a nice long run in the three hour range. Of course family obligations got in the way. That kind of sucks, but hey, things happen.

I was able to get out for a little while though. I had an hour and a half. Normally, when I run over an hour I try to go very slow, in the 11 minute mile range. I want to start pushing myself a bit more. I started by running the first mile at a ten minute pace, then ran nine more at an 8:30 pace. All together I covered ten miles in an hour and 27 minutes in mid 80's temperature and high humidity. I was a sweaty mess and very glad I carried my handheld.

I'm disappointed that I didn't have a chance to do a very long run, but I'm quite happy that I moved along at a significantly faster pace than normal.

After the run I had a nice large glass of chocolate milk and frosted mini wheats with peanut butter on them. Still feeling a little dehydrated. I'll keep pounding water for a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.