Monday, July 26, 2010

North Face Rucky Chucky Trail Running Shoe Review

After wearing my new North Face Rucky Chucky trail running shoes for general walking on Friday and Saturday I took my first trail run in them last night.  I have to say that I am very happy with both the fit and performance of the shoes.
Running on the East Esker trail in Mendon Ponds Park you come across a lot of hills, some of which has loose sand on them.  Traction was not an issue with the Rucky Chucky.  I knew the Asics Gel Strikes I had been using weren't suited for the trail, but I didn't realize how much difference the added traction and support of a trail shoe would mean.  The "Tenacious Grip" sole really bit into the trail.

The Rucky Chucky Trail Running shoe also provided a lot of support.  I never felt like I was in danger of twisting my ankle.  They provided a firm, steady base that gave quite a bit of confidence on uneven ground.  Also, the shoe provided good protection from rocks and roots.  The bottom of my foot did not feel sore at all from unintended impacts.

Although I only ran about 6.5 miles and walked about 5-6 more I believe that the shoe will be very comfortable for extended runs. 

The only downside to the shoe is that it feels fairly heavy.  The size 9's are listed at 14.5 ounces.  I'm wearing an 11.5.  The strength, stability and comfort of the shoe makes it more than worth while.

I wish Marshalls had more than one pair in my size.  At least they are still available fairly inexpensively through amazon.

Update: August 5, 2010 - I've put about 50 miles on these shoes.  So far they are very comfortable, stable and the traction is good.  I did however, break one of the eyelets that holds the laces in place.  Oh well, at least they were cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.