Tuesday, July 27, 2010

No Pep In My Step

I went out for an easy run this evening.  Normally, after the first ten minutes or so I get into a pretty good groove and feel pretty good.  Tonight I just wasn't getting there.  I never got comfortable, even though I wasn't running particularly fast.

After about 15-20 minutes I thought about stopping, but then I went through my personal inventory.  Nothing hurt.  Nothing was especially uncomfortable.  My breathing was good.  My stomach was ok.  There was no real reason to stop.

Since I didn't have reason to stop I pressed on.  In the end, I completed six miles in 55 minutes, 30 seconds.  I planned to do 6 miles in an hour, so I was pretty close.  I'm happy that I persevered and got through the mileage, but I wanted to look at what made the run unenjoyable.

The first thing that popped into my mind was that I might be a little tired.  Yesterday I spent several hours pitching batting practice and I was a little sore and worn out.  Then I didn't sleep well.  I think these two items were the main culprits in my difficulties.  On top of that, I didn't eat or drink much today.  I'm sure that played a role.

So as I sit here drinking my chocolate milk and eating a PB&J I'm already thinking about tomorrow.  I planned to do another hour for about six miles after my son's baseball game.  Hopefully with a good night sleep and some good food tomorrow night's run will feel a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.