Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shoreline Triathalon - Hamlin, NY

No, I did not race in the triathalon.  I swim just as gracefully as a cinderblock and don't even own a bike.  This morning I volunteered at the Shoreline Triathalon in Hamlin, NY.  The race was put on by Fleet Feet of Rochester and is one of the oldest events in the area, in it's 31st year.  Participants swam 0.47 miles, biked 14, and ran 4. 

I worked just in front of the transition area where the riders came in for dismount and started their run.  It was also the finish line.  I got to see each participant twice.  I was a little worried about collisions but thankfully there were none.  It really was a great experience.  The race was such a positive environment, with everyone working hard, spectators cheering, and big smiles as people came to the finish line.  The triathalon was also very motivating.  I'm thinking about buying a bike and taking swiming lessons.  Maybe I'll participate next year.

There were supposed to be four people volunteering at my position, but only two of us showed up.  My partner was a fun, cute girl in her early thirties (Chrissy).  We joked around for a bit and made small talk.  she asked if I raced in the area and I told her I've done a few 5k and 10k races but I'm more interested in building my mileage to participate in longer runs.  She said that was great, and she's run a handful of 50k, two 12 hour runs and a 50 mile race.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  It was good to meet an ultra runner and pick her brain a little bit. 

I told her that I've been trying to run in Mendon Ponds Park on Sunday evenings and she said she wants to run there but is afraid to get lost.  I gave her my number and said we could run together if she'd like.  Hopefully I just found a new running buddy.  It's always good to have company on long runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.