Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Trail Run at Mendon Ponds Park

After work I decided to hit Mendon Ponds Park for a little run on the trails. My plan was to start at the south side of the East Esker Trail, work my way up the eastern portion of the path, then switch to the North Meadow Trail just after the water tower. I would then loop around and reconnect with the East Esker Trail. It would be about a 6.5 mile run. There are a fair number of hills in Mendon Ponds Park. I planned to run the small hills, flats and downhills and walk the steep uphills. This is the strategy I will need to employ when I start entering Ultras. I plan to spend at least one day a week practicing walking uphill quickly and restarting running after a walk.

I was moving along pretty well for a half mile of so when I came across this sign:




At first I thought "Oh crap!" But then I decided it would be fun and give me a lot of practice at run/walking. I pressed on. I was feeling great until I was coming down a fairly steep hill with a bit of loose sand. I was moving along at a pretty good clip and trying to be sure of every footfall. Wiping out here would suck. I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye and turned to see a large deer with two fawns. That moment of distraction was enough for me to slide a little bit and twist my ankle. I sat down to evaluate the situation.

My ankle was sore, but not too bad. I could continue running, but there was no sense risking injury. If it was a race I would have gone on, but decided it was best to just walk back to the car. I had gone 2.94 miles in 34:35. Not fast by any means, but not bad considering the terrain. Rather than complete the loop I walked back out the way I came. I did come across a few more deer as I walked:



I'm a little disappointed with the run, but I did learn a few things. First is that I need to get more practice running more technical trails. Most of the trail running I've done has been on pretty established routes where footing isn't much of a problem. I need to learn how to pay attention and avoid the things that can hurt me. Second, I need to pick up some trail shoes. I normally run trails in my Asics Gel Strike 2s. A more agressive lug pattern and greater protection in the sole will serve me well in longer runs over more difficult trails.

Now I'm sitting here with my foot elevated with ice. It's a bit swollen with a little purple in it, but not too bad. I coach little league baseball and have games on Wednesday nights so tomorrow is a scheduled rest day anyway. I don't think I'll need to miss any runs because of the ankle. Thursday I'll run short and light to see how it feels, but I don't think any major damage was done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments, questions and suggestions are always appreciated. I reserve the right to delete your comment if you are an a$$hole.